How You Can Support Your Community
Think of giving not only as a duty but as a privilege.
- John D. Rockefeller
The Benefits Of Volunteerism And Philanthropy
- Gain professional development
- Develop leadership skills
- Develop new skill sets (finance, event planning, strategic planning, etc.)
- Many volunteering opportunities provide extensive training.
- Diverse experiences
- Challenge yourself
- New friendships
- Sense of purpose and fulfillment
- Good for your mind and body
- Volunteering helps counteract the effects of stress, anger, and anxiety
- Increases self-confidence
which VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY is right for you?
There are numerous volunteer opportunities available. The key is to find a volunteer position that you would enjoy and are capable of doing. It’s also important to make sure that your commitment matches the organization’s needs.
Ask yourself the following:
- Would you like to work with adults, children, animals, or remotely from home?
- Do you prefer to work alone or as part of a team?
- Are you better behind the scenes or do you prefer to take a more visible role?
- How much time are you willing to commit?
- What skills can you bring to a volunteer job?
- What causes are important to you?
how do i find causes and organizations to support?
- Points of Light - Cast from the vision of 1,000 points of light shared by our founder President George H. W. Bush in his 1989 inaugural address, today Points of Light transcends politics and borders to inspire millions of volunteers worldwide. HandsOn Bay Area is the local volunteer arm of Points of Light, connecting companies and people with volunteer projects.They help companies create customized volunteer events to make their employees happier and better serve society.
- Corporation for National & Community Service is the nation's largest grantmaker for service and volunteering, and thereby plays a vital role in strengthening the nonprofit sector and addressing the most critical community needs. O
- Volunteer Match (Nationwide) - Choose the type of activity you want in your area
- Taproot Foundation (Nationwide) - Helping nonprofits and social change organizations solve critical societal challenges via pro bono. Great for working professionals wanting to donate time to specific projects.
- Create The Good - You have the power to use your skills to do good anywhere, anytime.
- Idealist.org - Matches you with volunteer opportunities by location, sector, and function
- Guidestar.org has the most complete, up-to-date nonprofit data available in one place. You can research the strategies and financials of nonprofits you are contemplating supporting. It has a database of every national nonprofit and includes their tax returns.In addition, there are great articles about the nonprofit sector and what to look for in a nonprofit.
- Random Acts of Kindness - Contributions don't have to be big to make a difference. Here are some ideas about how to change the world one small gift at a time.